Study at Utica University
Inbound Exchange Students
Apply to study as an exchange student at Utica University
The Office of International Education welcomes international exchange students from our partner universities around the world to study at Utica University for a semester or academic year. Utica University is a small private university located in Upstate New York, with a personal approach to learning and active collaboration with professors. Students have the opportunity to learn a variety of different subjects and be involved in numerous clubs and activities as well.
Interested students must first be nominated by their home university, which has exchange agreements with Utica before applying for exchange. Please contact your international exchange office at your home university in order to find out your institution’s requirements for exchange and to be nominated to Utica University. Once you are, please fill out our application, found below.
Partner UniversitiesAberystwyth University, Wales
Abo Akademi University, Finland
American University in Cairo, Egypt
Jagiellonian University, Poland
Kansai Gaidai University, Japan
Lingnan University, Hong Kong
University of Strathclyde, Scotland
Ulster University, Northern Ireland
Universidad de Montevideo, Uruguay
See below for important information about tasks you need to complete after your exchange application has been approved, but before you arrive in Utica.
Plan your travelAcademic dates for upcoming semesters can be found on our academic calendar.
Spring Arrival Date: Tuesday, January 9, 2024
Regulations require all prospective J students to pay the I-901 Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS) Fee before the Department of State issues you a visa. To pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee, visit www.fmjfee.com/i901fee/ to access the payment portal.
Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee
Create your username and passwordGo to password.utica.edu
- Enter your nine digit student ID number (Banner ID)
- Enter the last four digits of your SEVIS ID number (on your DS-2019)
- Enter your date of birth (MM/DD/YYYY)
- Activate your account
Register for classesTo register for classes at Utica University, please go to our online registration site and follow these three steps:
- Select the Term you plan to attend
Search by Term (Fall starts in August and Spring starts in January) and click the Submit button. You will see a list of subject areas.
- Search for Courses
Select a subject and click the Class Search button. The list of courses being offered in that subject area will appear.
- View Category Entry will give a brief course description.
- Click on the course title to see how many seats are available in the class.
- Click on Book Information to see which textbooks are required and how much they cost. Note that Utica University uses a Book Bundling program that saves you money by adding a flat fee (currently $26) per credit hour to your student bill. Many of the books provided in the Bundle are digital. If you prefer to buy your physical books, you will have to opt out of Book Bundling in your Banner account.
- Click Return to Previous to return to your course listing.
- Once you have reviewed all the courses for the subject area click New Search and start the process for the next subject area.
- Submit your course selections by email.
Make a list of eight (8) course selections in order of preference, and email the list to firstname.lastname@example.org. You will only take 4-5 classes, but we ask you to choose more in case some have filled up.
- Include the course title, section, and course number (ex: Introduction to Cultural Anthropology – 9309 –ANT 101D – A).
- Courses that end with a (- Z) are only offered online. These are not available to exchange students.
- You will be registered for a maximum of five courses.
Complete the Housing Agreement Form listed on the Residence Life page. You need to login with your username and password. If space is available, exchange students are placed in the Global Village in Tower Hall. Exchange students coming in the spring semester may be placed in other residence halls based on open availability. You will need to log into the form with your username and password.
Sign up for housing
The Residence Life page also provides important information such as a list of items to pack.
Find out about mealsExchange students are enrolled in the Gold Meal Plan. This plan includes unlimited meals in the Dining Commons, plus $100 in Declining Balance per semester to spend as you wish at The Pioneer Cafe, Le Bistro, Tres Habeneros, Trax Snax, and Common Grounds.
All new students must submit the Health Information Form and bring proof of immunizations and a recent physical exam with them, as required by New York State regulations. Students who did not have a physical exam before arriving may arrange for one with the Health Center at a cost of $60. Student must show proof of immunization against measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR).
Submit your health forms to the Student Health Center
We strongly recommend that students get fully vaccinated before traveling to the United States. In addition to the measles, mumps, and rubella immunizations, the American College Health Association (ACHA) strongly recommends that students be vaccinated against tetanus, pertussis, diphtheria, polio, varicella, hepatitis B, and meningitis. However, students who arrive without proof of full immunization can be vaccinated at the Health Center. For more information on Utica University's Immunization Policy, please click here.
Completed health forms should be uploaded into your student portal.