|Use these links to jump to a topic you are interested in: |
Engage Video Conferencing/Recording Microsoft Office
Classroom Technology Training Recordings Other Help
|Schedule an Instructional Design Consultation|
Basic Engage and Course Management
- Introduction - How to get to Engage, Login, Find Support, and open your Course. (GS)
- Setting the Instructor Info - Help your students know a little about you, how to contact you, what your office hours are, etc. (GS)
- Create/Edit Announcements - Announcements are posts for the whole class to see.
- Hide and Show course Content - Useful to hide items students won't need to see until later.
- Edit Due Dates - Change assignment due dates.
- Using the Calendar - This is separate from Google Calendar and appears within Engage. It can be used to help students track due dates and other events.
- Create Calendar Events - Add events to the course calendar for all students to see. Note that this is not the same as Google Calendar and only appears within Engage.
- Creating Student Groups - Assign students to groups and groups to assignments.
- Using Completion Tracking - An Engage feature that lets you determine if a student has completed an activity.
- Editing your preferences - Change your personal Engage settings.
- Updating your Engage Profile / Biography - Help your students know a little about you, how to contact you, what your office hours are, etc.
- Time Zones and the Calendar - Useful information for classes where the students and/or instructor are in different time zones.
Engage - Assignments
- Creating an Assignment - Provide a way for students to submit work.
- Grading an Assignment- How to review submitted work and assigning it a grade.
- Creating and Using Grading Guides for Assignments - An additional grading option.
- Creating and Using Rubrics for Assignments - An additional grading option.
- Creating Group Assignments - Allows for students in a group to see submissions and group member posts.
- Grading Group Assignments - Grade one or all members submissions of group work.
Engage - Discussion Forums
- Creating a Forum Post - Post to a discussion forum to start a discussion.
- Managing Forum Subscriptions - This sets your notification preferences for discussion posts.
- Reply to Posts Via Email - An option for replying to forum posts from outside of Engage.
- Grading Guides for Forums - A grading option for discussions.
- Rubrics for Forums - A grading option for discussions.
Engage - Quizzes
- Quiz Setup
- Adding and Editing Quiz Questions - Creating or changing individual questions within a quiz.
- Paginating a Quiz - Splitting a quiz into multiple pages.
- Using Quiz Question Categories - Categorized questions allow for random questions to be included in the quiz and for easy access to questions in the question bank for re-use in the future.
- Using Quiz Feedback - Provide automatic feedback based on how well the student performed on the quiz, how they answered a question, or manual written feedback.
- Quiz Settings
- Settings Quiz Open and Close Dates - Allow students to take the quiz over a period of time.
- Changing the Number of Quiz Attempts - Allow multiple attempts in a quiz if needed.
- Controlling When Students Can See Quiz Attempts - Limit students access to finished quiz results until certain criteria are met (for instance after the quiz is closed).
- Additional Quiz Information
Engage - Additional Activities and Resources
- Adding a File as a Resource - Post files for your students.
- Adding a URL as a Resource - Post links to websites for your students.
- Using the Choice Tool - Essentially a way to poll students.
- Embed a YouTube Video - Adding a YouTube link to Engage that plays directly in the page.
- Using Engage Video - A way to upload video files from your computer into the course.
Engage - Additional Activities and Resources
- Gradebook Setup
- How Course Grades are Calculated - Includes grade categories, weights, and settings that can affect the calculation.
- Grade Aggregation: Natural - Explanation of natural grade mode and how it calculates.
- Manual Grade Items - For adding a grade which was not an Engage activity (i.e. not an assignment, quiz, etc., but you need to have it calculated into the student's grade).
- Exclude Empty Grades -Allows ungraded activities to not be calculated into a student's course grade.
- Grade Display Type -Change the grade to be displayed as points, percentages, or letter grades.
- Grade Decimal Points -Change how many decimal places should be included in grades.
- Creating/Grading Extra Credit - Creating an activity for extra credit.
- Dropping the Lowest Grade - Omit the lowest grade in a category from being calculated in the overall grade.
- Hiding Grades - You can choose to keep students from seeing their grades until you choose or until a certain date/time.
- Hiding Category Totals - Can be used if also hiding grades so categories don't give an inaccurate perception to the student.
- Using the Grader Report - Can be used to override grades on the gradebook.
- Grading Using Single View - Shows all grades for one assignment. More concise than the Grader Report.
- Grading Using the User Report - Shows all grades for one student.
- Using the Grade Submission Tracker - Shows what grading you need to do.
- Seeing the Grade History Report - Shows changes to grades over time. Useful for courses with multiple instructors if there are confusions over who entered a grade.
- Choosing a screen/lecture capture software - Matrix which helps you choose the software that is best for your situation.
- Zoom Video Conferencing - This link will take you to Zoom's library of video tutorials. This service is also integrated with Engage and is the recommended platform for video meetings with classes. Many features you can get to from in Engage rather than going to the Zoom site, and this allows recordings to be easily watched by your students.
- Streaming from Class - this will help you start a Zoom session from a campus classroom using Engage.
- Sharing a Doc Cam With Zoom - some campus rooms have document cameras for showing hand written papers or physical objects on a desk. This can be used as a second camera in Zoom.
- Share a DVD With Zoom - These steps will allow you to play a DVD for class and show it to both in person and online Zoom participants.
- Change Audio Output in Zoom - This may be needed if the system doesn’t automatically send sound to the right speakers. This document is intended specifically for UC classrooms, but applies to any computer with multiple audio output options.
- Enable Zoom Captioning - This allows live computer generated captions if needed.
- VoiceThread, Creating a Narrated Presentation (Video) - This 4 minute video shows how to add an Engage resource to VoiceThread, load your PowerPoint, and record your voiceover.
- VoiceThread, How to Comment - Adding comments to threads.
- VoiceThread, Uploading a PowerPoint and Sharing - Adding a PowerPoint presentation rather than just a video or audio clip.
- VoiceThread, Changing your Profile Photo - A good first step in getting started with VoiceThread. If this is not yet integrated into your Engage environment contact the Online Course Design team (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- Google Meet - Video conference service integrated with Google Calendar. Useful for one-on-one meetings with students or for students to use with group meetings outside of class.
- WebEx Video Conferencing - See our series of Webex tutorials at www.utica.edu/helpsheets
- Open Broadcast Studio (OBS) - An advanced way to capture your screen and one or more USB cameras, can stream live to services like YouTube.
- Screen Capture using ActivePresenter (Video) - 4 minute tutorial video on using ActivePresenter to record your computer screen and webcam video.
- Screen Capture using PowerPoint (Windows, Video) - 1 minute tutorial video on using PowerPoint to record something on your computer screen.
- Screen Capture using QuickTime (Mac, Video) - 2 minute tutorial video on using QuickTime on a Mac to record your computer screen.
- Microsoft Office 365 - Students, Faculty, and Staff are eligible to get Microsoft Office for their personal computers. Instructions are available at www.utica.edu/msoffice if you need a short easy link to share this information.
- Faculty and Staff using Utica College computers should contact the Help Desk if Microsoft Office is not working on their computer.
- Annotating Slides in PowerPoint (Video) - Adding voice to PowerPoint presentations.
- Annotating Slides in PowerPoint - Adding voice to PowerPoint presentations.
- Exporting PowerPoint as a Video - Students may find it beneficial for your presentations to be available as a video rather than a PowerPoint file (for example it's easier to see a video on a tablet or phone).
- Classrooms and labs will be equipped with a camera and microphone for use with Engage/Zoom.
- If you have quick classroom questions please contact the Help Desk at 315-792-3115.
- If you need one-on-one in person training on the classrooms please book an appointment. (These are all held in Library room L121 in the IITS Suite)
- If you wish to test out a specific classroom that you'll be using, you can call Campus Safety at 315-792-3046 to unlock that room for you. Please remember to sanitize the podium and equipment you touched (except the monitor) using the wipes provided.
- Classrooms Training
- Engage Grade Book
- Using Zoom to Teach Online
- Assignment Dropbox
- Choice Tool
- Discussion Forum
- Syllabus and Course Schedule
- Using Zoom for Faculty Office Hours
- Email Your Class From BannerWeb (Google Chrome) - This allows your Chrome browser to properly work with the email links in BannerWeb.
- Email Your Class From BannerWeb (Mozilla Firefox) - This allows your Firefox browser to properly work with the email links in BannerWeb.
- Using Google Calendar Appointment Slots - Allows you to set a range for someone to book an appointment with you, especially useful for physical or virtual office hours.
- Google Remote Desktop for Support - Useful tool if you need to access a student's computer to help them with something.
- Engage Support - 24/7 hotline for Engage related help.
- The Online Course Design team can be reached at email@example.com to assist with setting up your Engage courses.
- IITS Website - Create a support ticket where someone will follow up with you. Call us for urgent help at 315-792-3115. We can arrange in person support by appointment, but please call or create a ticket first as we can solve most issues or answer most questions remotely.
Additional Conferencing Software
Additional Video Recorders