Nursing (Direct-Entry M.S.)
About This Program
You've got passion, determination, integrity, and a commitment to help others. Nursing may be the calling for you. It's more than a job, it's a profession.
Why Utica University
The Direct Entry MSN (DEMSN) is an innovative advanced degree option for students who already have a non-nursing bachelor's degree and are looking to become a nurse. This program prepares graduates to be licensed as Registered Professional Nurses and gets students ready to choose a path to a second specialty master's degree or advanced certificate.
You will be challenged in ways you probably never knew, but in less than two years you'll be rewarded in ways you couldn't have imagined.
Graduates from this program will be able to:
- Integrate the arts and sciences with nursing science to inform clinical judgment and personal and professional development in advanced generalist nursing practice.
- Facilitate safe, evidence-based, ethical, and compassionate person-centered patient care to achieve quality health outcomes with diverse patients, situations, settings, and communities.
- Engage in intra and interprofessional collaboration, critical reflection, and innovation to promote lifelong learning, promote continual improvement, and inform policy.
- Demonstrate knowledge of current information and health care technologies and their application to advanced generalist practice.
Office of Admissions
Nursing (Direct-Entry M.S.) at Utica
Median Yearly Nursing Salary
Project Growth Rate in Employment
- Primary Care
- Urgent Care
- Public Schools
- and More!
Prepared for the Next Step
What You'll Learn
The Direct-Entry Master of Science in Nursing program has a strong focus on leadership, global health, diversity, equity, and inclusion (DEI) with multiple opportunities throughout the program to build awareness and leadership skills.
With a total of 80 credits for the program, students will be enrolled full-time with 15-17 credits per semester and complete 225 lab hours and 800 clinical hours in acute and community care.
A Degree That Works
Utica University's Direct Entry Master of Science in Nursing (DEMSN) hybrid program in nursing prepares you to take advantage of a growing demand for qualified care providers in critical care, childbearing and family nursing, geriatrics, community health, medical administration, and more. Utica nursing alumni have taken leadership positions at:
- BayCare Health System - Tampa Bay
- BayFront Health
- Holy Cross Hospital - Fort Lauderdale
- Johns Hopkins All Children's Hospital
- Tampa General Hospital
- Memorial Healthcare - South Florida
- Moffitt Cancer Center - Tampa Bay
- Empath Health - Clearwater, Florida
On the Frontlines
In partnership with Bayfront Health St. Petersburg, students administered the COVID-19 vaccine in January 2021 to more than 60 high-risk individuals, including frontline health care workers and people aged 65 and up, as part of phase 1 of the Florida vaccine rollout plan. This once in a lifetime opportunity allowed members of Utica's nursing program in St. Petersburg to be a part of history as they help fight back against the pandemic.
Speaking from Experience
Students receive first-hand insight and experience through a variety of speakers that includes alumni, professionals, and industry experts from throughout the medical field.
The Interprofessional Education (IPE) program at Utica University helps you develop a deeper understanding of a broad range of roles in the health professions so that you can effectively team up with practitioners in other disciplines to deliver outstanding patient care.Learn More
Visit Our Florida Campus
Discover Utica University’s St. Petersburg campus and explore a rewarding career in nursing or respiratory care. Register now for one of our upcoming events.Browse Florida Events
Need help with your English Language skills?
Utica University offers an English for Healthcare program for those looking to improve English fluency, accuracy, vocabulary, communication skills, and confidence in order to take the next step in your healthcare career.Learn More