Information , Training and Tutorials
What is Windows 10?
- It is Microsoft's most recent operating system (OS) and Utica College will be implementing deployment of the OS starting in the Summer of 2018. Computer labs, classrooms, and other general spaces will get Windows 10 first. Faculty and staff will get updated when their computer is up for replacement or if their computer requires IITS servicing due to problems.
- The Start Menu brings a new look including new ways to pin and arrange your most frequently used applications so they are easy to use.
- Task View is an improved way to switch between open programs.
- 'Snap' applications to half the screen, like before, or now to 1/4 of the screen.
- Virtual Desktops allow for arranging applications across different virtual screens.
- Most programs you're familiar with aren't changing. Microsoft Office will get an update to the 2016 version but there are very few visible changes.
- If you require any special software for teaching (computer labs or classrooms), please create a ticket ASAP so we can test this software for compatibility. Past requests don't roll over, and some old software may no longer be compatible.
- You'll still use Google Chrome and Mozilla Firefox as your primary browsers for email, Native Banner, etc. Windows 10 introduces the Edge browser, but we don't recommend using this or Internet Explorer.
- Ctrl+Alt+Del will still appear on the login screen and you'll use your normal UC username and password on all UC computers. We're not implementing photo passwords, pins, facial recognition, or other "fancy" login methods that could get very confusing.
- The Login Screen
- The Taskbar / Desktop
- Arranging Windows and Using Multiple Desktops
- Changing Default Applications
- Win+P for Projecting or changing Multiscreen options
- Organizing your Start Menu
- In person training classes were previously held but are not currently being offered. Create a ticket and we'll work with you individually.