Pioneer Pitch-In is a day of community service during New Student Orientation, where groups of new Utica University students partner with non-profit organizations in the area and complete projects together.
Pioneer Pitch-In aims to provide students with an immersive opportunity and help them learn the importance of positively impacting and contributing to the surrounding community. Participating in these projects will introduce students to diverse experiences and populations both on and off campus, and increase student awareness around team dynamics.
The third annual Pioneer Pitch-In will be on Thursday, August 24th, 2023.
Pioneer Pitch-In will be an amazing opportunity for first-year students at Utica University to be engaged in the community and create positive change for our nonprofit partners, while learning more about themselves, their peers, and the world around them. We want students to be prepared to have a productive and meaningful experience and have included information below on what to expect.
What will the volunteer experience look like?
- On Wednesday, students will participate in an orientation and icebreaker activities with their Pioneer Pitch-In group, along with student mentors and faculty/staff mentors.
- On Thursday, students will board a bus with their groups and head out into the community to their designated location. All supplies, water, and food will be provided.
Students will participate in a guided reflection with their groups to discuss the experience, what they learned, and what they will take away from it.
How can students prepare?
Some of the volunteer projects will involve tasks like cleaning and painting, so be sure to bring some old clothes and comfortable shoes. All students will receive a Pioneer Pitch-In t-shirt to wear on the day of the project.
Please let us know if you have any questions, concerns, or particular needs concerning your Pioneer Pitch-In experience. Contact us at email@example.com or via the emails listed below.
Pioneer Pitch-In is supported by generous faculty and staff volunteers who assist in our mission to provide a meaningful immersive experience for our first-year students.
Mentors will assist in a variety of ways, including:
- Collaborating with the organization in the days leading up to Pioneer Pitch-In to go over specific tasks for the day and other relevant information
- Leading Pre-Pioneer Pitch-In Meetings with their first-year student groups on what to expect
- Riding with students on the bus to and from the site
- Overseeing and participating in the project
- Ensuring a comfortable and safe environment
Interested in volunteering? Contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Is your organization interested in hosting a group of students?
- Email us at email@example.com
- Project examples could include: community clean-ups, organizing/sorting, mentoring/tutoring children, spending time with animals, etc.
I would like to see logins and resources for:
For a general list of frequently used logins, you can also visit our logins page.