About This Program
You’re passionate about sports. Whether it’s on the field or behind the scenes, you want a career that combines business, marketing, and communication with your love for sports at all levels. You want to develop the leadership skills that can help you excel in one of today’s most profitable industries. Sports Management may be the major for you.
Why Utica College
The Bachelor of Business Administration in Sports Management is an innovative and regionally competitive program designed to meet the current demand for management graduates with knowledge specific to the sports industry. Students develop leadership skills in management, business, and public relations, preparing them for a wide range of careers in the diverse and exciting world of sports.
Sports Management at Utica
"It's hard for me to imagine doing anything else. I love what I do now. It's such an exciting profession."
- Event Planning
- Sports Communication
- Sports Facility Management
State of the Art
What You'll Learn
- MGT 101 - Introduction to Contemporary Business (3)
- ECN 131 - Principles of Microeconomics (3)
- MAT 143 - Mathematical Analysis for Business & Economics I (3)
- PRL 182 - Public Relations (3)
- CMM 261 - Media Writing (3)
- MGT 201 - Principles of Organization and Management (3)
- MKT 211 - Principles of Marketing (3)
- PRL 285 - Sports and The Media (3)
- PRL 385 - Event Planning and Campaigns (3)
- SPM 395 - Sports Information and Public Relations (3)
- SPM 396 - Sports Marketing Communications and Promotion (3)
- SPM 397 - Sports Event Planning and Management (3)
- SPM 454 - The Business of Sports (3)
- SPM 456 - Athlete Management and Representation (3)
- SPM 458 - Sports Law (3)
- SPM 470 - Internship (3)
UC’s Sports Management curriculum incorporates classes in business, public relations, and management with liberal arts electives. Students become familiar with accounting, economics, general management, marketing, law, finance, human resources, and strategic management and leadership. Public relations courses address topics in media writing, marketing, sports marketing and law, among others.
Sports Management Faculty
- Dean of Business & Justice / Associate Professor of Risk Management & Insurance
A Degree That Works
Graduates of the Sports Management program will have the skills to enter a wide variety of careers in the business and marketing fields, including event planning, sports communication, and sports facility management at the college, amateur and professional levels.
Student Voices: Angela Malaspina
A brief conversation with Management major Angela Malaspina about her program, her professors, and her plans for the future.
Alumni Voices: Chris Bandura '99
Hear how Chris Bandura's experience at Utica College prepared him for an exciting career as Vice President of Media Relations and Communications for the Buffalo Sabres.