The Biology Major: B.S. in Biology
Competition in medical school is intense…I find myself studying less and understanding more than many students because UC taught me to think like a scientist.
Biology Major Advising Form
Biology Major Course Catalog Description and Curriculum Outline
1st Year: Essentials of Biology Courses
Training in research, laboratory skills, and biological information and theories that all biologists need to know.
2nd-4th Year: Foundations of Biology Courses
In-depth study in areas critical to the development of the biologist:
- Cellular/Molecular Biology
- Structural/Functional Biology
- Organismal Biology.
- Elective courses tailored to students' interests.
Senior Year: Integrated Biological Experience
Students synthesize the skills and knowledge gained in their coursework in independent research or research seminar that provide real-world application of their skills.
Biology majors also complete Major Related Courses including mathematics, chemistry, and physics to round out their training.
Students who plan to continue their education in graduate school (research, medical, dental, veterinary, school) will need to complete two full years of chemistry, one year of physics, statistics, and calculus.
Students must submit their intentions to apply for major honors to the Biology Department Chair in writing by April 1st.
In order to be considered for Honors in Biology, the following requirements must be satisfied.
- The student must have Biology GPA of at least 3.4 in all Biology courses taken at Utica College and an overall GPA of at least 3.0.
- The student must take BIO 450 in their junior or senior year and present their findings at the Annual Undergraduate Research Conference (or similar venue).
- The Biology Faculty will evaluate the student’s credentials and then select those who shall receive Honors. The student’s participation in departmental activities will also be considered.