Alumni Council and Awards
Welcome to Utica University's Alumni Council. The UAC supports and promotes the best interest of Utica University and fosters unity, loyalty and growth within the University community, which includes its students, perspective students, parents, faculty, staff, administration, Board of Trustees, and alumni.
A member is nominated to hold a Utica University Alumni Council (UAC) position based on demonstrated involvement, support of, and commitment to the institution. Upon election to the UAC and upon accepting the three-year appointment, an individual agrees to fulfill the responsibilities associated with Council membership. These include but are not limited to:
- Attending and participating in two scheduled Council meetings, each year. One meeting is held in the spring and the other is held during Homecoming Weekend – usually in September or October. Additional meetings may arise as needed to address Council business. Additional meetings will have a virtual option.
- Donating to The Fund for Student Success at a level appropriate to current circumstances is required, at the Pioneer Society level is encouraged. The UAC strives for 100% participation from all members.
- Actively serving on at least one Council committee as assigned with regular attendance on scheduled committee conference calls in between full Council meetings on campus.
- Being a representative and spokesperson for the Utica Alumni Society. This could involve talking with prospective students, meeting with fellow alumni, communication in our legislators, attending local alumni events, and more.
- Seeking out and encouraging talented alumni for committee and future UAC membership, other alumni activities, and alumni awards.
- Assist the University and the Center for Career Readiness in identifying, cultivating, and involving alumni in areas such as student recruitment, job placement, legislative advocacy, and financial support.
- Assist the University and the Alumni Society in identifying and implementing programming that will enhance the student experience at Utica University, thus helping promote and engage more loyal alumni.
- Familiarity with the programs and activities sponsored, organized, and coordinated by the Alumni Society and participation in them to the extent possible, including large campus events (Homecoming Weekend, Convocation, and Commencement).
Current UAC Membership
- Elizabeth Bernabe ’92 (President)
- Tom Cole ’92 (Vice President)*
- Ann Ciancia ’18 G’21 (Secretary)*
Members at Large:
- Maria Araujo ’99
- Thomas Atkinson ’74
- Sydney Bell ’11*
- Stacy Buckley ’88
- John Burkholder, III ’75
- Mikhail Bushinski ’17 G’18
- Patrick Cooney ’08
- Leila Davis ’89*
- Kathyanne Davis ’04
- Janet Desens ’02
- Laura DeStefanis ’98
- Stephon Hamell ’11
- Stephen Karboski ’12
- Jacqueline Klotzbach’10
- Terrence Li ’01
- Lauren Mattia ’98*
- John Murray, Jr. ’90
- Nikhil Panda ’02
- Keino Purcell ’11
- Vincent Rinaldi ’08
- Ann Roman ’87
- Fabio Sanchez ’12
- Maria Santucci ’12
- Thomas Scirto ’81
- Curtis Smith ’92
- Sukeena Stephens ’95
- Katie Williamson ’03
- Thomas Woodburn ’15 G’17
*An asterisk denotes a committee chair.
Recognition for the achievements and contributions of alumni, faculty, students, and friends of the University.
The Utica University Alumni Council recognizes distinguished alumni, faculty, students, and friends of the University who personify the University's commitment to excellence and service, bringing distinction to themselves and to our alma mater.
Many Utica graduates have gone on to achieve outstanding heights in their chosen careers. Alumni, friends, and students also assume leadership roles, volunteering their time and effort to the University. We would like to recognize these accomplishments during Homecoming weekend.
The categories for the Utica University Alumni Council awards are:
To nominate an alumna/us, faculty member or friend of the Utica University community, draft a paragraph explaining why the individual is deserving of the award. Email your nomination to firstname.lastname@example.org.
You may also request a form by contacting us at email@example.com or by calling (315) 223-2552.
University Key Award
Presented annually to alumni who, through their volunteer leadership, have worked to advance the goals and ideals of the Utica University Alumni Association and/or the University through a special project/initiative and/or through sustained efforts to connect alumni with each other and back to the University.
Distinguished Alumni Award
Awarded to an alumnus or alumna, whom through distinguished accomplishment in his/her chosen career field, has brought honor to himself/herself, his/her profession, and to the University. The criteria we established to use to identify distinguished alumni can be used for the purpose of determining award recipients for this category.
Outstanding Service Award
Presented to a current member of the administration, faculty, or staff who’s shown selfless service and devotion to the University, etc.
Young Leadership Award
Presented to graduates of the past one to 15 years who demonstrates an early commitment to dedication to the University through his/her volunteer work and/or consistent philanthropy and/or distinguished early career, by so doing, sets an example for younger alumni to follow.
Recognizes outstanding contributions to Utica University as a friend of the University. This contribution may be monetary or in the form of service which contributes to the strengthening and advancement of the University.
Pioneer Legacy Award
Awarded to the alumna or alumnus or friend of the University who has, over the course of a lifetime, provided unparalleled service and devotion to Utica University his/her selfless volunteerism, philanthropy, and leadership (only those who have been connected of 20-30 years or longer should be considered).
To nominate a student for one of the following awards: Outstanding Senior, Alumni Memorial Scholarship or the Sportsmanship Award, please submit a letter in support of your candidate to Alumni Relations- Office of Advancement. This is also a self-nominating process; students may contact you to write a letter of support for their applications. When we receive your nomination letter, the student will be contacted to complete an application and will be required to submit a resume and college transcript.
The deadline for submission for student awards is March 24, 2023.
Candidates must be Utica matriculated students graduating in December 2022, May 2023, or August 2023. Qualifications for the award include one or more of the following:
- Participation in the activities of the institution through campus government, clubs, organizations, sports, etc.
- Service to the community
- Outstanding scholastic achievement
- Achievement despite a personal hardship
Alumni Memorial Scholarship
Two scholarships will be awarded for the 2023-2024 academic year in the amount of $1,800 each. This scholarship is offered to help students further their education at Utica. To be eligible, students must be of junior or senior standing (by fall 2023), be attending Utica full-time, and have a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or higher. In addition, they must have been involved in institutional and/or community activities. The scholarship is intended to recognize merit, future promise, and service to Utica University.
This award honors male and female student-athletes who have, through their actions in the competitive arena of intercollegiate athletics, demonstrated one or more of the ideals of sport including fairness, civility, unselfishness, respect, and responsibility. The nomination criteria include:
- Athlete must be a graduating senior and at least a two-year varsity player and must be in good academic standing
- Athlete must be a contributor to his/her sport measured by having participated in a minimum of 50 percent of games over the previous two seasons
- Athlete must have demonstrated good citizenship outside the sports/competition setting
- Athlete must have demonstrated consistently good sportsmanship and ethical conduct in his or her daily participation in intercollegiate athletics.
- The noteworthy act of sportsmanship must have occurred during the past year
- Supplemental material such as newspaper articles, photographs or videos will not be considered in the selection process
The deadline for submission for student awards is March 24, 2023. Student recipients are honored during the annual commencement program and all other recipients are honored at a special recognition ceremony during Homecoming weekend.
I would like to see logins and resources for:
For a general list of frequently used logins, you can also visit our logins page.