English for Healthcare: Online
For new, future or experienced healthcare workers whose English is a second language, this online course meets your language needs.
What you'll learn
English for Healthcare combines a strong grammar and communication skills development with the specialist vocabulary you need to succeed in your healthcare career.
The English for Healthcare course is designed for students who have a minimum English language ability of approximately 5.5 IELTS, 59 TOEFL or 85 Duolingo.
The 14 module course will be offered entirely online, utilizing modern, engaging and dynamic methodology. Assessments will be ongoing, on a weekly basis, and will require active participation of all students.
Each module covers:
- Listening and viewing activities reflecting everyday healthcare scenarios
- Interprofessional simulation experiences
- Medical terminology
- Discussions and readings on the topic of healthcare
- A focus on communication language skills and cultural communication etiquette
- Reading skills relevant to healthcare texts, forms and reports
- Critical thinking and problem-solving skills to support reading and writing
- Grammar and vocabulary in healthcare context to support reading and writing
- Expressions, vocabulary, abbreviations, and acronyms used in healthcare contexts
- Forms, charts and documentation – how to read them and how to fill them
- Academic writing principles
The course contains topics that reflect the latest developments in the field making it immediately relevant to your needs:
|Medical Terminology||Patient History|
|Health Habits||Communicating with the Patient in Sensitive Scenarios|
|Illnesses, Injuries, Symptoms and Medical Specialties||Planning and Giving Clear Instructions|
|Hospitals, Health Centers, Equipment and Devices||Mental Health and Addictions|
|Healthcare Forms, Insurance and Billing||Public Health|
Utica’s English for Healthcare is ideal for busy individuals who want to improve their English quickly because it offers:
- Course is offered in 15 week or accelerated 8 week delivery with 3 start dates/year.
- 8-Week Term Start Date: August 29, 2022
- 15-Week Term Start Date: August 29, 2022
- An online and mobile-friendly syllabus allowing you to learn and practice in bite-sized lessons.
- Successful performance in the course allows you to apply a portion of the tuition towards a healthcare degree at Utica College.
Cost of attendance is $820*
*additional $25 for course materials
Translate this page:
I would like to see logins and resources for:
For a general list of frequently used logins, you can also visit our logins page.