ABSN Prerequisite Courses and the PREP Program
A career in nursing requires a strong aptitude in science, biology, and math. Therefore, we require our Utica ABSN students to complete a series of general and natural science-based prerequisite courses, which can be completed 100% online through Utica University as part our Prerequisite Priority (PREP) Program.
ABSN Prerequisites Courses
|General Prereq||Natural Science Prereq|
|Statistics||Anatomy & Physiology I +Lab|
|Life Span Development Psychology||Anatomy & Physiology II + Lab|
|Chemistry + Lab|
|Microbiology + Lab|
Keep in mind, however, to be eligible for the Utica ABSN program, you must:
- Earn a grade of “C” or better in the general prerequisite courses.
- Earn an overall 3.0 GPA or better in the natural science prerequisite courses.
You can retake a course, however, only one retake of any two prerequisite courses is permitted. And if you completed any of the natural science prerequisite courses during your previous college experience, you must have done so within the past 10 years.
Separate from the prerequisite requirement, in order to qualify for admission into the Utica ABSN program, you must also satisfy the education background requirements and have earned a 2.8 minimum cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale.
Aside from early admission, our PREP program also helps you establish a strong foundation for your nursing education by offering:
- Six Start Dates offered throughout the year
- Provisional Acceptance
- Online learning familiarity: Get comfortable with a non-traditional learning environment by completing all of your prerequisite courses online. PREP uses an e-Learning management system that is similar to the platform applied in the ABSN program.
- Seamless credit transfers: Completion of prerequisites courses through our college means you do not have to worry about your credits being non-transferable.
- Financial aid eligibility: Enrolling in at least two of our ABSN prerequisite courses make you eligible to apply for federal financial aid. To learn more about financial aid, please contact our Office of Student Financial Services at (315) 792-3009 for Andrea Curley or (315) 792-4400 for Christina Kallasy.
When you agree to complete your ABSN prerequisites through our 100% online PREP program, we grant you provisional admission into our accelerated nursing school.
In other words, you do not have to wait for an admissions decision—you are a Utica University nursing student with a guaranteed spot in the ABSN program for your target start date.
However, to be eligible for provisional admission, you must meet the qualifications for the ABSN program (have at least 65 non-nursing college credits and have earned a 2.8 minimum cumulative GPA on a 4.0 scale) and complete each of the prerequisite courses within all specified requirements. We allow one retake of any two prerequisite courses.
I would like to see logins and resources for:
For a general list of frequently used logins, you can also visit our logins page.