UC’s Dining Commons underwent a $4 million overhaul this summer, with help from Sodexo and Connor Architecture.
Along with new tables, chairs, TVs and couches, the space, located on the second floor of the Strebel Student Center, features remodeled dining stations, offering everything from pizza and pasta to Asian entrees prepared in a wok. Each station is named after a meaningful aspect of Utica College lore.
“Students spend a good amount of time here, and a nicer, updated space makes for a better student experience,” said Damien Boehlert, campus dining services general manager.
Members of the UC community celebrated the new dining space with a ribbon cutting ceremony on Monday, August 28, and a week of discounted meals — $5 for “all-you-care-to-eat” access.
- Phyllis & Frank's Deli - On July 29, 1946, Phyllis Sherman and Frank Cissi, both of Utica, became the first Utica College students to register for classes.
- Hart & Plant - A signature gathering spot on Utica College’s original Oneida Square campus, the intersection of Hart and Plant Streets helped foster the sense of community that has defined UC throughout its history.
- Pioneer Pizza - Most of UC’s longest-standing traditions were originally conceived by students. In 1952, members of the student body adopted the team name “Pioneers,” replacing “Tangerines.”
- Homecomings - Each fall, the Utica College community celebrates Homecoming, a time when students, alumni, faculty, staff, parents, and friends come together to show school pride.
- Grill 46 - Utica College was founded in 1946, on the heels of the GI Bill of Rights, to meet the educational needs of returning World War II veterans.
- Curbstone Bakery - In its early days, UC was known as “Curbstone College” because, as Dr. Virgil Crisafulli described in Reflections: The Early Years of Utica College, “so much student counseling took place literally on the street.”
Utica University offering High School Students an Up-Close Look at Communications Careers
Music and critical conversation kick-off Black History Month
I would like to see logins and resources for:
For a general list of frequently used logins, you can also visit our logins page.