Student Counseling Services
Is life getting overwhelming?
The Counseling Center can help!Life is tough. Here in the Counseling Center, we understand that. We understand that sometimes life throws us curve-balls that we never see coming. Adjusting to college life and being away from home for the first time is hard enough, and then sometimes we experience unforeseeable losses and/or big time disappointments that create significant barriers from being able to be the best person/student we can be. We can help you regain control over those things.
Our staff is comprised of professionally trained clinicians, licensed by the State of New York, who can assist you with a wide variety of concerns. It is our belief that the college experience is all about learning and growing, both professionally AND personally. Our work focuses on helping students gain the maximum benefit from their whole experience here at UC.
College is meant to be fun!
Let us help you make the best of your college experience!
What is counseling?
- An outlet to explore feelings, examine beliefs, and work toward making healthy changes.
- A way to gain new perspectives on behavior, emotions, and relationships.
- Developing skills to effectively cope with challenges, uncertainties, and conflict.
Who ARE the counselors?We have extensive experience in an array of challenges and therapeutic techniques, including: grief/trauma work, anxiety management, alcohol/drug counseling, suicide assessment and Dialectical Behavior Therapy. We all practice from a strengths based and motivational interviewing point of view and are here to assist students adjust to college life, overcome stressful life situations, and also to help make difficult life decisions.
- We are very passionate and serious about our jobs and we also love to have fun!
- Make sure to look for campus wide events and programs we will be offering throughout the semester!!
For personal concerns that may arise during a semester, counselors are available to help students directly or, if you don't feel comfortable obtaining counseling on campus, we can assist with referrals to off-campus agencies and/or counseling services.
How we can help
Our staff can provide help with or referrals for a variety of struggles.
Some examples include:
- Alcohol and substance abuse concerns
- Anger management
- Anxiety disorders
- ADD/ADHD related concerns
- Body image and weight loss
- Date rape/Sexual assault
- Eating disorders
- Family problems
- Grief and loss
- Medication Mgt
- Relationship problems
- Self esteem
- Self harming behaviors
- Sexual/Gender identity
- Suicidal thoughts
- Trauma (PTSD)
Is it confidential? Confidentiality is of the utmost importance in the counseling relationship and student concerns are not shared except in circumstances where there is a threat to self or others. In the case of threat to self or others, notification is at the discretion of the counselor in consultation with the Director of Counseling and/or other appropriate Utica College personnel when needed.
Without your permission, we will not and cannot update or inform your parents, family and/or friends on your involvement with our services. However, in the event we are concerned for your safety, or the safety of others, we may need to reach out to those supports in the event of an emergency.
How to make an appointment
- Email us at email@example.com
- Call our center directly at (315) 792-3094
- You can also stop by and make an appointment in person
- If it is after hours and an emergency, please contact Campus Safety at (315) 792-3046 and ask for the counselor on-call.
How to refer a student
To make a referral to the Counseling Center, please fill out this form completely (click on the icon below). Someone will be in touch with the student within 2 business days. If you do not think it can wait 2 business days, please contact our office immediately.
Refer a Student
How to find usThe Counseling Center is located within the Student Wellness Center on the second floor of the Strebel Student Center, room 204.
We are currently open through the semester Monday - Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
All services for registered UC students are free and confidential.
We strongly encourage students to schedule appointments, however counselors can be available for walk-ins if need be.
- It is sometimes the case that the scope of a student's concern is out of the area of expertise of our staff. We maintain active and cooperative relationships with area mental health and substance abuse providers and will facilitate referrals when needed.
- Payment for off-campus services is the responsibility of the student.
- Ongoing telephone or online counseling is not available. For students who are not able to meet in our office, we will work with you to set-up services in your local area.
"If we believe that tomorrow will be better, we can bear a hardship today."
Additional resources:Mobile Crisis Assessment Team (MCAT)
Veterans Crisis Line
1-800-273-8255, press 1
National Suicide Prevention Lifelife