Mission and Goals
We strive to create a community which supports the academic experience by fostering the social, personal, and intellectual growth of our students through the cultivation of healthy living/learning environments. We actively support the mission of the College and the mission of Student Affairs, and fulfill our own mission, in the following ways:
- Providing for the developmental needs of the individual in a professional and personal manner.
- Celebrating the diversity of the Utica College community and challenging our students to continually expand their world view.
- Enhancing the Utica College experience for all campus community members through personal effort, clear and consistent information, and engaging programs.
- Empowering student staff to take a role in fulfilling this mission.
- Collaborating with campus departments in the operation of safe, secure, and well-maintained residence halls.
We support student initiatives which foster a viable and visibly active campus environment in which students can maximize and enhance their college experience through a variety of campus activities. We are dedicated to student success through student participation. Our goals are:
- to provide opportunities to develop valuable leadership skills that will empower students to become successful leaders at Utica College and to position them for success in their chosen careers.
- to create an environment that fosters respect, values all individuals, appreciates diversity, and celebrates the contributions of all.
- to offer students opportunities in leadership, social responsibility, citizenship, as well as build a forum for the cultural, educational, and social involvement of all students.
- through their participation in events and organizations supported by the office, students will communicate a sense of community and demonstrate a level of satisfaction and pride in being affiliated with Utica College.
8:30am to 6:30pm
8:30am to 5:00pm
Saturday - Sunday
Saturday - Sunday
The Gay Alliance
The SafeZone program was created to develop, enhance and maintain environments in workplaces, schools and other social settings that are culturally competent and supportive to LGBTQ (lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer/questioning) individuals, as well as straight, cisgender people who care about diversity, equality and inclusion.
What is a SafeZone?
A safe zone or a safe space is a place where all people feel welcome and safe. It may be a room, a car, or an entire college campus. The Gay Alliance SafeZone program aims to increase the awareness, knowledge, and skills for individuals and address the challenges that exist when one wants to advocate for their LGBTQ peers, family members, friends and co-workers. Creating safe zones or safe spaces is a proactive step that schools, agencies and corporations can take to create welcoming, inclusive spaces so that all people are empowered to reach their full potential.
Contact Dean of Diversity and Student Development Alane Varga at avarga
for more information or how to become SafeZone Certified