P2P file sharing programs have legal uses. Even legal file sharing software uses Internet Bandwidth intended to support work critical to the educational mission of Utica College. For this reason even legal file sharing software may be restricted, or in some cases may be prohibited. If you have P2P software on your computer and use it to download or share files illegally, you should consider removing it. Here are a few reasons why.
• To avoid getting caught illegally downloading or distributing files
• To avoid a meeting with College officials
• To avoid getting cut off from the campus data network
• To avoid paying fines or settlements to the RIAA or other associations
• To avoid infection from computer malware or virus
• To support the rights of content owners (musicians, filmmakers, etc.)