Contact

Facilities Management

(315) 792-3191
(315) 792-3709 (Fax)

Facilities Management


Energy Saving and Green Initiatives



Energy Co-Generation Project



A joint project between Burrstone Energy Center, Utica College, and St. Lukes Health Care was initiated in Fall 2007, and construction of the combined heat and power facility was completed and operational in August of 2009. The CHP Facility will provide approximately 70% of the electricity consumed on campus. The remaining 30% will be purchased from National Grid.

Benefits of the Co-Gen are:
  • Reduction of Utica College’s Utility Cost
  • Reliable power to campus
  • Reduced greenhouse gas
To read more about Co-Gen, click here > 


Green Initiatives:


  • Changed hours of work schedule of night custodial staff to more daytime cleaning.
     
  • Recycle Program – added additional containers on campus and increased number of pickups for paper, plastics, glass, and cardboard.
     
  • Thermostats – adjusted thermostats to limit temperature range and adjusted schedule for energy management system.
     
  • Low Flow in Water Fixtures – Installed low flow shower heads in resident Halls and Athletic Complex. Low flow heads reduce volume by 50%.
     
  • All custodial cleaning chemicals have green seal rating.
     
  • Weather permitting, golf carts are utilized for transportation around campus instead of pickups.
     
  • Installed occupancy sensors in facilities shop area.
     
  • Exit lights changed to LED.
     
  • Installed compact fluorescent bulbs in place of incandescent bulbs
     
  • Install film on windows in Hubbard Hall and Strebel Center.

To read more about Green Initiative:


http://www.utica.edu/finance/environment/


Future Projects:


  • Replacement of boilers and HVAC equipment: Summer 2010
     
  • Install occupancy sensors in more common areas around campus: Ongoing
     
  • Changing of fluorescent lighting: Ongoing