Master's Programs in Education
Students with Disabilities - Generalist
Master of Science Degree
This is a program of study for candidates who have a bachelor’s degree and who wish to seek the Students with Disabilities Grade 7-12 Generalist Certification.
Additional requirements for the Program:Students must fulfill the following requirements:
- Have a major or the equivalent in one or more of the liberal arts and sciences.
- Have 6 credit hours or the equivalent of study in a language other than English.
- Have 3 credit hours in the fine arts.
- Have or complete 6 credit hours of study at the 200 level or above in each of the following courses: English, History, Mathematics and Science.
Academic Requirements (45-49 credit hours*)
EDU 501 – Foundations of Literacy (3)
EDU 503 – Literacy and Comprehension: Middle-Adolescence (3)
EDU 505 – Foundation of Special Education (3)
EDU 511 – Introduction to Teaching (1)
EDU 512 – Practical Teaching Methodologies (3)
EDU 521 – Foundations of Education (3)
EDU 525 – Assessment of Children and Youth with Special Needs (3)
EDU 527 – Adolescence Special Education Methods (3)
EDU 528 – Methods and Curriculum: Severe Disabilities (3)
EDU 621 – Inclusive Classroom Strategies I (3)
EDU 615 – Learning and Cognition (3)
EDU 632 – Data-Based Decision Making (3)
PSY 604 – Child and Adolescent Development: Implications for Educators (3)
EDU 697 – Professional Development in Education: Graduate Dossier (3)
EDU 699 - Professional Development in Education: Inquiry Project (3)
Content Area Electives (6 credit hours required)
Choose two courses in your certification content area or other area as approved by your adviser.
Student Teaching or Mentored Internship
EDU 671 – Student Teaching Seminar (1)
EDU 675 – Student Teaching I (4) or EDU 677 – Mentored Internship (4)
EDU 676 – Student Teaching II (4) or EDU 678* - Mentored Internship (4)
* Students who currently have NYSED initial certification are required to complete only one student teaching placement. Contact the Utica College Department of Education for further information.
Students with Disabilities, Grade 7-12 Subject Extensions
Candidates with a base certificate in SWD 7-12 Generalist are eligible to be recommended for the extension title(s) at grade level 7-12 once they have successfully completed 18 semester hours of study or its equivalent in one or more of the following:
- earth science
- social studies
More Information:Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.