Graduate Programs in Education
Master's Programs in Education
Students with Disabilities - Generalist
Master of Science Degree
This is a program of study for candidates who have a bachelor’s degree and who wish to seek the Students with Disabilities Grade 7-12 Generalist Certification.
Additional requirements for the Program:Students must fulfill the following requirements:
- Have a major or the equivalent in one or more of the liberal arts and sciences.
- Have 6 credit hours or the equivalent of study in a language other than English.
- Have 3 credit hours in the fine arts.
- Have or complete 6 credit hours of study at the 200 level or above in each of the following courses: English, History, Mathematics and Science.
Academic Requirements (45-49 credit hours*)
EDU 501 – Foundations of Literacy (3)
EDU 503 – Literacy and Comprehension: Middle-Adolescence (3)
EDU 505 – Foundation of Special Education (3)
EDU 511 – Introduction to Teaching (1)
EDU 512 – Practical Teaching Methodologies (3)
EDU 521 – Foundations of Education (3)
EDU 525 – Assessment of Children and Youth with Special Needs (3)
EDU 527 – Adolescence Special Education Methods (3)
EDU 528 – Methods and Curriculum: Severe Disabilities (3)
EDU 621 – Inclusive Classroom Strategies I (3)
EDU 615 – Learning and Cognition (3)
EDU 632 – Data-Based Decision Making (3)
PSY 604 – Child and Adolescent Development: Implications for Educators (3)
EDU 697 – Professional Development in Education: Graduate Dossier (3)
EDU 699 - Professional Development in Education: Inquiry Project (3)
Student Teaching or Mentored Internship
EDU 671 – Student Teaching Seminar (1)
EDU 675 – Student Teaching I (4) or EDU 677 – Mentored Internship (4)
EDU 676 – Student Teaching II (4) or EDU 678* - Mentored Internship (4)
* Students who currently have NYSED initial certification are required to complete only one student teaching placement. Contact the Utica College Department of Education for further information.
Students with Disabilities, Grade 7-12 Subject Extensions
Candidates with a base certificate in SWD 7-12 Generalist are eligible to be recommended for the extension title(s) at grade level 7-12 once they have successfully completed 18 semester hours of study or its equivalent in one or more of the following:
- earth science
- social studies
More Information:Contact the Office of Graduate Admissions.