Integrated Information Technology Services (IITS)
Personal Use of College Equipment
• College-owned computer resources are to be used predominately to accomplish the tasks assigned to that position or responsibility.
• Internet access is intended to support academic or workplace requirements.
• Incidental use of College-owned computer systems for personal use is permitted if:
• Use occurs outside the employee’s work schedule.
• Use does not interfere with work being performed by another employee.
• Use is not for pay or profit or is related to a non-academic/educational business (e.g. e-mail or Internet browser use for academic/educational consulting is acceptable; e-mail or Internet browser use to support any private entrepreneurial enterprise such as a used CD resale business or an Avon dealership clearly not related to one’s academic task or work is not acceptable).
• Use does not consume excessive.
• Use does not violate software licensing agreements.
• Excessive use of College-owned computer systems that interferes with college-related activities may result in the loss of computer access.
• Use of College-owned computers to produce a product (e.g. document, program, system, etc.) may qualify the product as the intellectual property of the College based on existing academic norms and law.
All users of college owned computers and equipment.
REASON FOR POLICY:
To preserve the proper functionality of college owned equipment.
If personal use of College equipment is found to harm the equipment in any way the violator’s supervisor will be notified and the department will be charged any costs of repair or replacement.
Enforcement of Utica College policies is the responsibility of the office or offices listed in the “Resources/Questions” section of each policy. The responsible office will contact the appropriate authority regarding faculty or staff members, students, vendors, or visitors who violate policies.
Utica College acknowledges that College policies may not anticipate every possible issue that may arise. The College therefore reserves the right to make reasonable and relevant decisions regarding the enforcement of this policy. All such decisions must be approved by an officer of the College (i.e. president, vice president for academic affairs, or vice president for financial affairs).
Direct any questions to the Director of IITS Operations.
Due to the rate at which technology changes, this policy may not anticipate every issue that may arise. As a result, IITS reserves the right to enact additional restrictions, or modify the existing restrictions as needed while approval of those changes are pending.
Please note that other Utica College policies may apply or be related to this policy. To search for related policies, use the Keyword Search function of the online policy manual.
Date Last Revised:
L.02 Software Policy
L.03 Email Policy
L.05 Password Security
L.06 Account Policies
L.08 Improper Use Policy
W.02 Computer Passwords