Summer Institute Peer Tutor/Mentor Job Description
Utica College Summer Institute Program
Wednesday, June 26 - Sunday, August 4, 2013
The Utica College Summer Institute is a five-week residential experience required for incoming freshmen who are part of the conditional admissions process. It gives incoming freshmen an excellent head start on their academic journey at UC. The students attend Math, English, Reading, and Science courses along with a wide range of workshops, which will help them make the transition from high school students to strong Utica College students. The Utica College Summer Institute offers incoming freshmen the opportunity to:
- Earn three to five academic credits in just five weeks
- Get to know students, faculty, and staff
- Build high-level academic skills such as communications and critical thinking.
- Benefit from interactions with peer and professional tutors and counselors
- Become familiar with the campus environment
- Assist in welcoming the Summer Institute students to campus and orientating them to their floors.
- Tutor and facilitate study groups in a specified academic area.
- Hold weekly counseling sessions with each of their assigned students and schedule tutoring sessions in their respective areas as needed.
- Attend all classes in their subject area.
- Attend classes in other academic subject areas as assigned.
- Refer any student who is having major difficulty to the Summer Institute staff
- Attend any training sessions held for student staff.
- Meet weekly with the Summer Institute staff and program counselor to discuss progress and problems of assigned students.
- Attend by-weekly Summer Institute staff meetings.
- Submit weekly confidential tutoring and counseling logs to the Summer Institute staff
- Consult the Summer Institute staff regarding questions about these or other responsibilities throughout the Summer Institute.
- Minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5
- Minimum subject area GPA 3.0 (Math, Science, English)
- Tutoring experience preferred
- No first year students