This past week was a bit of a doozy for me, because I was super sick all week. What started out as a little cold turned into a four-day marathon of sleeping, eating soup, and coughing non-stop. I wish I could say that it is easy to be sick when you’re away at college, but the truth is that being ill totally stinks, no matter where you are! Fortunately, there are a few things you can do if you find yourself overcome with the plague while you are at Utica College:
1. Go to the Health Center. You can call them (315-792-3094) to schedule an appointment, or you can visit them any weekday 8 AM- 11 AM (8:30-11:15 Wednesdays, though!) for a walk-in visit. They offer tons of services that are free to students, so take advantage of getting health care right on campus!
2. Get a ride from Campus Safety. If the Health Center doc recommends you go to a doctor or hospital nearby, you can call Campus Safety and ask them to drive you to and from your appointment. They are more than willing to bring students to medical visits off campus, and make it easy on you by transporting you to where you need to go.
3. Eat some soup. I swear that soup can make anyone feel better! Luckily, there are two varieties of soup every day at the Dining Commons, and those soups are also available at Le Bistro in Gordon Science Center and Common Grounds in the Library. You can also get different types of soup in the Pioneer Cafe and Subway, both downstairs in Strebel Student Center.
4. Email your professors. If you need to miss class, just shoot your professor an email as far ahead of time as you can explaining when and why you will be missing class. Professors are much more likely to be understanding and willing to accommodate you if you give them advance notice of your absence. By the way, you can find my tips for writing a professional email here.
5. Sleep! Above all else, get rest so that your body can recover! Do your best to get some Zzz’s so that you can get well. Allowing yourself the time to rest will help you get back up on your feet as soon as possible.