As fun and exciting as classes are, sometimes you may choose to take a night class from 6:30-9:20 pm and if you are a morning person like me, you may be a bit drowsy by this time at night! I personally do enjoy taking night classes because it means you only have the class once a week and allows for more time to work on the materials outside of class. On the other hand, sometimes it is hard after a long day to go and be bright eyed and bushy tailed for night class and that is why I have had to come up with these ideas for staying awake in night class.
1. This is sort of obvious, especially for college students, but getting a little coffee is not a bad idea! I do not drink coffee in the mornings of “Night Class Nights” because I want to save it for night class! Remember that drinking too much coffee can be unhealthy. Drinking a bottle of water can also keep you refreshed and energetic, if you are not a big coffee drinker, or just want to be healthier.
2. Write your notes! Many professors put their notes in Powerpoint and allow students to print the notes before class so they can just take little notes on the side. I believe it is very beneficial to go to class without the printed notes, take the notes and then print out the Powerpoint slides to make sure I get all of the information. This will help you retain the information better and stay focussed in class. Professor Pack tells his students all the time to write out notes instead of printing them out because it leaves a lasting imprint on memory (when I learn more about it in Neuro I will be sure to share the information with you!) I know this is a big study aid for me, while helping me stay awake!
3. Wear a nice outfit! Most people, including myself, just want to wear sweatpants and comfy clothes to night class, but this will just make you feel more sleepy. It is better to wear a nicer outfit or less comfortable clothes (than sweatpants) because it will make you less likely to feel like you are about to go to bed. I am not saying you have to be uncomfortable or wear fancy attire to night class, just wear something you would not sleep in!
4. Make sure you get plenty of sleep the night before or take a nap before going to night class. This way you will still be energetic and your mind will still be ready to learn for your night class! It is important to get all of the information from your classes as you can.
5. Eat a good, healthy meal before hand! I know 6:30 is usually my dinner time, so it is important to make sure you get a good meal before night class so you can stay focussed and energized. Although it probably would not help to eat a lot of turkey before night class… (they have a chemical that makes you sleepy!) You can also take snacks and gum to chew in your night class to help you stay awake.