In a post at the beginning of the semester, I listed my new semester resolutions. Now that the year is coming to a close, I’d like to return to the list and reflect on what I have accomplished over the last several months:
My New Semester Resolutions/ Senior Year Sentiments:
1. Attend as many of my favorite (and free!) UC events as I can- including UCPB nights, Crystal Ball, and Mooseapalooza!
The UC Gay-Straight Alliance snaps a picture after the show (above). 3BL at Crystal Ball (below).
2. Win at Tuesday night trivia! (Hey, 4.0 Laura, I’m going to need your help with this one, lil sis)
While we didn’t win, we did get third place! Mainly because 4.0 Laura had night class and couldn’t be on our team to save us.
3. Do something fun over Spring Break- even if it’s not very far away or tropical!
We went somewhere both far away AND tropical- St. Thomas! It was gorgeous and so much fun!
3BL in paradise!
4. Take advantage of the open swim hours at the UC pool to add variety to my workouts.
Mission accomplished! Karita and I love to swim, and Laura and I tried spin classes, zumba, yoga, step, and tabata to switch up our workout routine. Photographic evidence of Karita and I at open swim can be found below.
5. Take a Saranac Brewery tour, and check out any other local attractions that I have yet to see before I leave Utica.
The brewery tour was great! I went with Rachel, a Burrstone RA, and a few of her residents. I loved learning all about how beer has been made throughout history right here in Utica.
6. Get a good night’s sleep (most nights, at least!) so I am more alert during my 8:30 AM classes!
While I don’t have photographic proof of me sleeping, I can attest to the fact that I made sleep more of a priority, and my grades definitely prove it!
7. Make it a priority to do more volunteer work in the area.
This is one area that I was not able to accomplish nearly as well as I wanted. While I stayed very active on campus and was involved in many orgs that help area charities, I didn’t ever find the time to do my own, separate volunteering in the Utica area. There’s definitely always room for improvement, so I still plan to keep this goal in mind for the future!
8. Take a trip to NYC to see museums and eat tons of new foods!
This is another one I didn’t cross off the list. St. Thomas was a huge trip, which made finding time for NYC difficult. Luckily, I have some time this summer to try to accomplish this goal!
9. Allow myself more down time and fun, rather than over scheduling every moment as usual.
Check! I worked very hard on balancing my life more this semester. I gave myself more down time, had a great time with my friends, and was more spontaneous. This allowed me to enjoy every moment instead of trying to over-plan everything all of the time, as I am often tempted to do.
Sunny days and good vibes in Utica with Karita (above) and Rochester with Ryan (below).
10. Graduate summa cum laude and go on to graduate school next fall!
I am very excited to be the Class Marshall for the School of Arts & Sciences at this year’s graduation ceremony. In the fall, I will be beginning at the University at Buffalo in the Social-Personality Psychology PhD program.
So there you have it! I’d say I did pretty well accomplishing most of the things on my list. It was a lot of fun to both create a senior year bucket list and to work towards checking it off. Though my time at UC is almost finished, this list helped me make some awesome memories in my last months here.
Time passes much faster than you think, so I invite you to ask yourself what you want to do before you graduate, make a senior year bucket list or new semester resolution list of your own, and have exactly the college experience that you imagine for yourself!