WHO WE ARE
UCEMS is a NYS Basic Life Support First Response agency governed by the NYS Dept. of Health. This volunteer emergency medical agency is staffed by students and staff members. The UCEMS team was started with just 4 EMTs in the fall of 2015, and now has a total of 20 EMTs. The agency has responded to over 400 emergencies on campus since their inception. UCEMS is a branch of the Emergency Management Division of Utica College.
Utica College EMS received the National EMS READY Campus in 2020 from the National Collegiate EMS Foundation. This award recognizes excellence in emergency management and disaster preparedness of collegiate EMS organizations.
UCEMS received the National HeartSAFE Award in 2018 for training at least 5% of the student body in CPR and AED use. In May of 2018, UCEMS received Agency of the Year for the entire Midstate Region (Madison, Oneida and Herkimer counties).
UCEMS utilizes a 2018 Kawasaki Mule with a custom built Stryker Stretcher ambulance bed for non-hospital campus based transports. The unit is known as M1 (UTV- 1) and will be in service for Athletic Events, America's Greatest Heart Run & Walk, and the Boilermaker Road Race.
WHAT WE DO
UCEMS provides the following services:
- UCEMS is charged with responding to every medical emergency on the campus, but we also handle non-emergency standbys.
- UCEMS provides medical standbys at various large-scale events on campus. EMTs have been available in teams for the following events over the past few years:
- America’s Greatest Heart Run & Walk
- The Boilermaker Road Race
- The Unity Mile
- Residential Student Move-In Day
- The Presidential Inauguration
- We also provide AHA certified CPR/AED/First-Aid and Narcan Classes upon arrangement.
- We now offer STOP the BLEED courses for free, endorsed by the American Colleges of Surgeons.
- UCEMS SOGs
- BLSFR Certification
- Heart Safe Campus Certification
Like UCEMS on Facebook:
Follow us on Instagram:
Director of Emergency Management: Shad Crowe, B.S.
Medical Director: Dr. David Petrie, M.D.
Manager of EMS: James Monahan, MS, RN, AEMT-P
Asst. Manager: Vice President Pam Salmon, EMT-B
Chief of EMS: Seth Shaw, EMT-B
Assistant Chief: Corey Evans , EMT-B
Captain: Hannah Camfield, EMT-B
Lieutenant: Megan Williams, EMT-B
Founder: Anthony Scalise III, BSN, RN, NREMT