Wellness and Adventure Education - Health and Physical Education
About This Program
You’re always on the move. You’re energized by working with others and being active. You don’t want a career that involves sitting at a desk all day. Wellness and Adventure Education may be the major for you.
Why Utica College
Wellness and Adventure Education prepares students for certification to teach K-12 physical education and health. Taught by accomplished faculty with extensive professional experience in the field, the program offers a comprehensive curriculum that includes foundational courses in biology, exercise science, group facilitation, and education, with advanced experiential learning opportunities in program design, ropes course technical skills, health and physical education curriculum delivery, and much more.
Wellness and Adventure Education - Health and Physical Education at Utica
- Physical Education, Health Education and Coaching
- Outdoors Adventure/High Ropes Director
- Team Building Facilitator
- Health and Wellness Program Coordinator
A Strong Foundation
What You'll Learn
- WAE 101 - Intro to Physical Education, Health Education & Wellness (3)
- WAE 143 - Adventure Programming and Basic Group Facilitation (3)
- WAE 233 - Fundamentals of Coaching (2)
- WAE 105 - Outdoor Sports (2)
- HLS 113 - Understanding Alcoholism, Chemical Dependencies, and Mental Health (3)
- WAE 243 - Foundations of Exercise Science (3)
- WAE 206 - Physical Health & Wellness (3)
- WAE 103 - Aesthetic & Aquatic Sports (2)
- WAE 248 - Injury Care & Prevention (3)
- WAE 244 - Technical Skills for Adventure Programming (3)
- WAE 108 - Striking/Field Sports (2)
- WAE 313 - Biomechanics (3)
- WAE 307 - Community & Consumer Health (3)
- WAE 113 - Passing Sports (2)
- WAE 361 - Elementary Physical Education & Health (3)
- WAE 348 - Adventure Programming for Social Emotional Learning (3)
- WAE 365 - Secondary Physical Education & Health (3)
- WAE 106 - Target Sports (2)
- WAE 413 - Motor Development (3)
- WAE 333 - Adapted Physical Education and Fitness (3)
- WAE 107 Net and Wall Sports (2)
- EDU 546 - Physical Education Methods (3)
- EDU 521 - Foundations of Education (3)
- EDU 547 - Coaching Sports (3)
- EDU 548 - Health Education Methods (3)
- EDU 621 - Inclusive Classroom Strategies (3)
- EDU 632 - Data-based Decision making (3)
- EDU 675 - Student Teaching I (4)
- EDU 676 - Student Teaching II (4)
**The above four-year curriculum plan is only a sample plan and does not include all core curriculum or electives. Please see the Full Curriculum Link below for more detailed information.**
The Wellness and Adventure program's Teacher Education track prepares students for certification to teach K-12 physical education and health.
This program emphasizes adventure education, which involves structured learning exercises characterized by perceived risk or challenge (including low and high ropes courses) and reflection. Students participate in some or all of the adventure education courses themselves to develop the skills needed to create meaningful, effective, and safe learning experiences.
Students continue to develop their skills through advanced courses in physical education and health education methods before matriculating into the graduate education program.
A Degree That Works
The Wellness and Adventure program prepares students for opportunities in fast growing career areas within Pre-K-12 Education (Physical Education, Health Education, and Coaching) and Adventure Education (Team Building Facilitator, Program Instructor, Outdoors Adventure/High Ropes Director, Assistant Director of Outdoor Adventures).