Wellness and Adventure Education
About This Program
You’re always on the move. You’re energized by working with others and being active. You don’t want a career that involves sitting at a desk all day. Wellness and Adventure Education may be the major for you.
Why Utica College
Wellness and Adventure Education prepares students for leadership role in designing and managing fitness and health/wellness programs in either an educational or a corporate setting. Taught by accomplished faculty with extensive professional experience in the field, the program offers a comprehensive curriculum that includes foundational courses in biology, exercise science, group facilitation, and education, with advanced experiential learning opportunities in program design, ropes course technical skills, corporate wellness program development, strength & conditioning, health & fitness trainer methods, and much more.
Wellness and Adventure Education at Utica
- Strength and Conditioning Coach
- Personal Trainer & Fitness Instructor
- Corporate Wellness Director
- Outdoors Adventure/High Ropes Director
- Team Building Facilitator
- Health and Wellness Program Coordinator
A Strong Foundation
What You'll Learn
- WAE 101 - Introduction to Physical Education, Health Education & Wellness (3)
- WAE 143 - Adventure Programing and Basic Group Facilitation (3)
- WAE 233 - Fundamentals of Coaching (2)
- WAE 105 - Outdoor Sports (2)
- HLS 113 - Understanding Alcoholism, Chemical Dependency, and Mental Health (3)
- WAE 243 - Foundations of Exercise Science (3)
- WAE 206 - Physical Health and Wellness (3)
- WAE 248 - Injury Care and Prevention (3)
- WAE 244 - Technical Skills for Adventure Programming (3)
- WAE 313 - Biomechanics (3)
- WAE 307 - Community and Consumer Health (3)
- WAE 357 - Older Adult Fitness (3)
- WAE 355 - Health/Fitness Trainer Methods (3) OR WAE 356 Principles of Strength and Conditioning (3)
- WAE 348 - Adventure Programming for Social Emotional Learning (3)
- WAE 354 - Workplace Health Promotion (3)
- WAE 467 - Exercise Testing and Prescription (3)
- WAE 470 - Internship Prep/Fitness Center (1)
- WAE 453 - Organization and Administration of Wellness Programs (3)
- WAE 480 - Corporate Wellness Internship (12)
**The above four-year curriculum plan is only a sample plan and does not include all core curriculum or electives. Please see the Full Curriculum Link below for more detailed information.**
The Wellness and Adventure Corporate Wellness track prepares students to design and manage health promotion initiatives for individuals, businesses and organizations.
Students will learn a range of methods by which physical health and fitness can be achieved. This program emphasizes adventure education, which involves structured learning exercises characterized by perceived risk or challenge (including low and high ropes courses) and reflection. Students participate in some or all of the adventure education courses themselves to develop the skills needed to create meaningful, effective, and safe learning experiences.
Students continue to develop their skills through advanced courses in exercise science and physical health and wellness program development.
A Degree That Works
The Wellness and Adventure B.S. program prepares students for opportunities in fast growing career areas within Corporate Wellness (Wellness Director, Health and Wellness Program Coordinator, Director of Healthy Living, Fitness Trainer and Instructor), Adventure Education (Team Building Facilitator, Program Instructor, Outdoors Adventure/High Ropes Director, Assistant Director of Outdoor Adventures), Fitness (Personal Trainer, Fitness Instructor, Strength and Conditioning Coach).
Learning@UC: The Ropes Course
Once around the ropes course with Utica College's Wellness and Adventure Education program.
The Interprofessional Education (IPE) program at Utica College helps you develop a deeper understanding of a broad range of roles in the health professions so that you can effectively team up with practitioners in other disciplines to deliver outstanding patient care.Learn More