HEOP - Summer Institute
The Arthur O. Eve Higher Education Opportunity Program (HEOP)
Dates for 2013 Program
Utica College's 2013 Summer Institute will be held: Friday, June 28 through Saturday, August 3, 2013.
For some students, the transition from high school to college life can be a difficult one. There's a different way of thinking, working, and studying. Add to that living away from home and interacting with students from a variety of backgrounds, and the experience can be overwhelming.
Utica College's Opportunity Programs offers a variety of services to ease that transition. One such effort is Summer Institute, a five-week program that acquaints pre-freshman students with the campus and campus life. All Higher Education Opportunity Program students are required to attend Summer Institute. Other students looking to strengthen their academic skills are welcome to attend as well.
During Summer Institute:
- All students must take the following course load: English 100, Reading 100, Science 90, either Math 100 or Math 104, Math 151, College Learning Skills, and workshops which are designed to help students adjust to college life both academically and socially.
- Students participate in a number of off campus activities which have included: Low Ropes Course, Community Service Day, Bowling, Darien Lake Amusement Park and Enchanted Forest Water Safari
- Along with the professional staff (director, academic support advisors, a counselor, and six professors), two to three peer tutor counselors live, attend classes with, and tutor all Summer Institute participants.
Summer Institute Student Handbook
(The SI Handbook is currently being prepared. Please check back soon.)
Note: You will need a valid UC student login to view the file. If you do not already have one, go to http://password.utica.edu to activate your account or contact Opportunity Programs for more information.
The Opportunity Program staff works very closely with a variety of offices on campus to provide needed services to HEOP students during the course of the five weeks and all year. The offices include:
- Academic Support Services Center
- Business Office
- Career Services
- Student Financial Services
- Food Services
- Residence Life
- Student Activities