Happy Thanksgiving, everyone! With finals and final presentations coming up, studying everyday is critical, but I also know it is difficult to think about school while you are at home enjoying the break. I know I have not been able to think of anything but riding my horse for the first time since August! Here are some tips I find helpful to get work done and to still enjoy my break!
1. Preparation: Before break, it is good to lay out all the work and studying you need to accomplish for the rest of the semester. That way, you have an idea of what you need to get done.
2. Make a plan! It is good to then get a calendar or planner and create a schedule of when you are going to get your work done. For example: My Wednesday of break was going to be devoted to my Psychology Essay and study Gross Anatomy Lecture and Lab for two hours. My Thursday was devoted to Gross Anatomy Lecture and Lab for three hours. It has been very helpful planning out my days because it forces me to make time for it (force because i would rather be playing with my pets than homework!), and it relieves a lot of stress knowing I am getting my work done, and I won’t be cram studying before my finals.
3. Stay devoted! It is important to treat your work like a class. You need the thought process of: you never miss class (hopefully), and you should not miss out on your study/homework time over break either. This way, you are not putting off all your work till the Sunday we get back. I did this last year and was so stressed because studying after a five hour car ride is NOT very fun.
4. Pick a time of the day and schedule the rest of your day around it as if it were a class. I made all my study time in the mornings when I woke up so I could have the rest of the day to do whatever I wanted. It is also a good feeling knowing it’s done and out of the way for the day.
5. Relax and have fun! The break is supposed to be relaxing, and some people get more stressed than relaxed over the break. Relaxation, eating right and sleeping well will benefit your health and get you all geared up and revived to do your best finals week.
I hope these tips helped! Good luck on finals and have a safe trip back to Utica!