In my never ending quest to educate I’ve assembled some of the most interesting and lesser known facts about my home continent. Enjoy.
1. There are more than 2,000 languages spoken in Africa. Bear in mind that there are only 54 countries.
2. The Sahara Desert is the largest desert in the world and is larger than the continental United States.
3. Africa is home to the largest reserves of precious metals in the world. The source of 90% of all platinum reserves, 60% of cobalt reserves and 40% of gold reserves.
4. Africa is home to 8 of the 11 major biomes.
5. During the summer months of June and July, the largest wild migration occurs on the Serengeti. An estimated 2 million Zebra and Wildebeest travel from Tanzania to Kenya in search of fresh grazing grounds.
6. Approximately 30% of Earth’s remaining minerals are found in Africa.
7. Africa is the hottest continent with 60% of its landmass covered in desert and drylands.
8. Prior to colonization, Africa was composed of 10,000 self governed and autonomous states.
9. Africa burns the most biomass on the planet, yet is only responsible for only 4% of carbon dioxide emissions.
10. The discoveries of ‘Lucy’ (The earliest known hominid remains dated 3.2 million years ago) in Hadar, Ethiopia and a trail of hominid footprints discovered in the Kibish region of Tanzania point to the Rift Valley being the birthplace of humanity.