Everyone makes mistakes; things that discourage them, and ultimately end up weighing on their minds. I can’t tell you how many times that I’ve made mistakes and just kept re-playing them over and over and over again. It gets so frustrating & it leaves you feeling stressed and upset. So, here’s 10 things to remember the next time you feel discouraged, or feel like you’ve messed up!
1) Everyone makes mistakes: Yep, it’s true. You’re not the only one. It’s hard to remember, but when you finally realize that you’re not the only one that has made a mess of a situation, you’ll find that comforting.
2) Let it go: Move on, stop beating yourself up about a mistake. For instance, you got a bad mark on a test you studied really hard for. Don’t sweat it. Let it go. Focus on doing better the next time. You can’t change it, so why stress?
3) Learn from your mistakes: Remember you don’t know it all. No one expects you to. Mistakes are stepping stones into a much greater learning experience. Sometimes we need mistakes in order to figure out who we are, and who we are to become.
4) Remember things could be worse: There’s always a silver lining in any situation. We may not see it at first, but we soon realize that what we think is so bad, really isn’t. It’s all about perspective.
5) Overreacting is normal: In fact it’s a habit. The first thing we do whenever we feel discouraged or embarrassed is to jump to conclusions, freak out and allow negative thoughts to consume our mind. Not cool.
6) Forgive yourself: The first step in the healing process is to forgive. Beating yourself up over things that didn’t go right, is exhausting and pathetic. Do you want to be pathetic? No you don’t. Kick that attitude out & realize that accidents happen….just deal.
7) Don’t sweat the small stuff: Okay, so ever hear that saying “Don’t sweat the petty things, and don’t pet the sweaty things”? No? Well now you have thanks to Steven Tyler from Aerosmith 😀 But, really, do not make a fuss over the little things. It’s just not worth it. Plus, if you can’t handle the little things, how are you going to be when the really big stuff comes?
8) Laugh: Laughter really is the best medicine. When I’m feeling blue, I put on one of my favorite shows & get my humor back! You should always go through life with three things: A wishbone, backbone & funny bone. (Thanks Reba McIntyre for that tidbit of wisdom)
9) If you can fix it, fix it: Sometimes our mistakes can’t be undone. That’s where the whole letting go & moving on thing comes in. However; on those rare occasions that they can be changed, do it. Don’t ignore it. If you can fix it, it will set you free…trust me. For example: said something wrong to a friend? Apologize. Fix it, don’t let that go & ruin something over nothing.
10) Never make the same mistake twice: Why? Because the next time you make it, it’s no longer a mistake…it’s a choice.