Office of the President
Credit Card Marketing
Utica College permits advertising, marketing, and merchandising of credit cards on the Utica College campus only for those companies and organizations that adhere to the conditions of the College’s Credit Card Marketing Policy and as required by law.
This policy applies to all members of the Utica College community as well as those organizations who wish to take part in the advertising, marketing, or merchandising of credit cards to Utica College students.
REASON FOR POLICY:
This policy was created to comply with the New York State Education Law Article 129-A § 6437, which prohibits the advertising, marketing, or merchandising of credit cards on college campuses to students if an official credit card marketing policy does not exist and with the federal Truth in Lending Act § 127(r) and related regulations.
1. All companies and organizations wishing to market credit cards on the Utica College campus must obtain the written permission of the Director of Student Activities
and will be charged the College’s established table vendor fee for external organizations.
2. Companies and organizations wishing to market credit cards on the Utica College campus may do so no more than once per semester and only from a table in the Strebel Student Center.
3. Credit card marketers may not offer gifts to students in exchange for completing credit card applications.
4. Companies and organizations wishing to market credit cards may alternatively advertise in the College’s student media outlets such as the student newspaper, radio station, television broadcasts, or Web-based services, provided such advertisements adhere to the relevant policies.
5. All advertising, marketing, and merchandising of credit cards using printed materials such as flyers, posters, etc. is prohibited with the exception of paid advertising in the College’s student media outlets (see above) and printed materials distributed at a table in the Strebel Student Center.
6. Fees collected from credit card marketers by the Office of Student Activities will be used to inform Utica College students about good personal credit management practices through publications, workshops, seminars, etc.
7. Any exceptions to this policy must be approved by the vice president for student affairs and dean of students.
It is the responsibility of all students and/or organizations wishing to market credit cards on the Utica College campus to contact the Director of Student Activities for approval. If further approval is required, it is the responsibility of the students and/or organizations to contact the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students.
Enforcement of Utica College policies is the responsibility of the office listed in the “Resources/Questions” section of each policy. The responsible office will contact the appropriate authority regarding faculty or staff members, students, vendors, or visitors who violate policies.
Utica College acknowledges that College policies may not anticipate every possible issue that may arise. The College therefore reserves the right to make reasonable and relevant decisions regarding the enforcement of this policy. All such decisions must be approved by an officer of the College (i.e. president, vice president for academic affairs, or vice president for financial affairs).
For any questions or additional information, please contact the Office of the Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students. See also Utica College’s Solicitation and Posting policies.
Please note that other Utica College policies may apply or be related to this policy. To search for related policies, use the Keyword Search function of the online policy manual.
Date Last Revised:
Revision Promulgation Date: