Integrated Information Technology Services (IITS)
• IITS has the final authority to determine users’ unique account names and when possible, this may be done in consultation with the user.
• IITS has the final authority in determining who may or may not access college computing resources. Current faculty, staff and students may request accounts. Alumni, former faculty and staff, and others may request accounts if sufficient need can be shown.
• Users are responsible for the security of their College accounts, their files and other’s files to which they have authorized access.
• Authorized users are not allowed to share their accounts with others. The authorized user of the account is responsible for all activities associated with the account, even if these activities are performed by others.
• Passwords should be changed often, every 180 days or sooner, and not revealed to others.
• Passwords must not be left in unsecured areas, including but not limited to the user’s desktop, underneath the keyboard, or underneath the mouse pad.
• IITS does not keep a record of passwords but can assist a user in changing or resetting a password.
• Users must log out of their accounts when not present at the computer or be accountable for revealing the contents of their files to others.
• Users may not use a College account to misrepresent the College. Users may not use a College account that they do not have authority to use.
• Encryption technologies should not be used to prevent an authorized user from using College equipment, to hide illegal activity, or disrupt the use of the college-wide computer system.
• The College accepts no liability or responsibility for credit card information or other personal information entered by users on computing devices whether or not the device is administered by the college.
• Users are responsible for maintaining and not exceeding allowed file space.
• Accounts on College-owned computers are limited to employees, current students, alumni, and or any other person with express permission granted by IITS. Accounts may be deleted when employment is terminated, when student status has ended, or at the College's discretion under the advice of one of the disciplinary groups named above. In the case of termination or disciplinary grounds, access to accounts may be denied and material deleted after all appeals have been exhausted and due process considerations met. The College may try to recover or protect user files from deleted accounts, but is under no obligation to do so.
“Account” is defined as any username and password which allows access to a Utica College computer system. This includes Novell, Banner, Email, any UC web-based service, a single computer, etc. This policy applies to all members of the Utica College community who have been assigned an account of any type.
REASON FOR POLICY:
This policy is instated to insure the security of the Utica College computer systems as well as data on those systems and the privacy of all users.
Any breaches of this policy should be reported to the Director of IITS Operations immediately. Actions will be taken promptly to remedy the exact cause of the breach. If the issue is severe, based on the discretion of IITS, the individual in breach of the policy will be reported to their direct supervisor for disciplinary action.
It is the responsibility of any individual using an account to follow this policy. It is also the responsibility of any person aware of a violation to report it to the Director of IITS Operations immediately.
Enforcement of Utica College policies is the responsibility of the office or offices listed in the “Resources/Questions” section of each policy. The responsible office will contact the appropriate authority regarding faculty or staff members, students, vendors, or visitors who violate policies.
Utica College acknowledges that College policies may not anticipate every possible issue that may arise. The College therefore reserves the right to make reasonable and relevant decisions regarding the enforcement of this policy. All such decisions must be approved by an officer of the College (i.e. president, vice president for academic affairs, or vice president for financial affairs).
Direct any questions to the Director of IITS Operations.
Due to the rate at which technology changes, this policy may not anticipate every issue that may arise concerning accounts. As a result, IITS reserves the right to enact additional restrictions, or modify the existing restrictions as needed while approval of those changes are pending.
Please note that other Utica College policies may apply or be related to this policy. To search for related policies, use the Keyword Search function of the online policy manual.
Date Last Revised:
L.02 Software Policy
L.06 Account Policies