Integrated Information Technology Services (IITS)
Personal Hardware Use
• The addition of personal equipment to College computing hardware without approval of IITS is not allowed. This includes, but is not limited to, peripherals, computers, and PDAs.
• Approval of Student personal computers is automated by the use of the online registration process. When implemented campus wide this will apply for all computers. This must be completed before they are allowed to connect to the College network. There are no exceptions.
• Auditors, consultants, and other contractors who require Internet access but cannot complete the online registration may use a separate Internet connection that is not part of the College network. This service must be requested 2 business days in advance and may not be available everywhere on campus.
• Personal equipment may be subject to incidental access while the College is maintaining College-owned devices.
• The College is not responsible for maintaining or resolving problems resulting from the use of personal hardware or software.
• The IITS Computer Help Desk will not provide support for personally owned hardware and is not obligated to do so in any circumstance.
• This includes wireless devices, cordless phones, PDA’s and other mobile devices since they can affect wireless access or other wireless signals.
REASON FOR POLICY:
To prevent unauthorized, and unsecured computers or devices to interfere with other campus technology.
Unauthorized personal hardware will be removed from Utica College computing equipment and/or the network immediately upon discovery. Violators of this policy will be reported to their supervisor as well as the Director of IITS Operations.
All personal equipment must be approved by IITS by consulting with the Computer Help Desk prior to connecting the equipment to Utica College property.
Enforcement of Utica College policies is the responsibility of the office or offices listed in the “Resources/Questions” section of each policy. The responsible office will contact the appropriate authority regarding faculty or staff members, students, vendors, or visitors who violate policies.
Utica College acknowledges that College policies may not anticipate every possible issue that may arise. The College therefore reserves the right to make reasonable and relevant decisions regarding the enforcement of this policy. All such decisions must be approved by an officer of the College (i.e. president, vice president for academic affairs, or vice president for financial affairs).
Direct any questions to the Director of IITS Operations.
Due to the rate at which technology changes, this policy may not anticipate every issue that may arise. As a result, IITS reserves the right to enact additional restrictions, or modify the existing restrictions as needed while approval of those changes are pending.
Please note that other Utica College policies may apply or be related to this policy. To search for related policies, use the Keyword Search function of the online policy manual.
Date Last Revised:
L.02 Software Policy
L.06 Account Policies