Beginning this fall, Utica College will offer an online master’s degree in data science to address the growing need for professionals with strong analytical skills. This emerging field, which is projected to have a significant effect on how businesses, health care organizations, educational institutions and government agencies approach strategy and policymaking, was named one of the “sexiest careers of the 21st century” by the Harvard Business Review.
“Data analysis skills have been taught in a variety of disciplines,” said Michael McCarthy, professor and director of the data science program, “but the unique confluence of the vast amount of data being collected, the increasing sophistication of the global population, and the rapid advances in technology have significantly increased the demand for specialists in this field.”
“Data is everywhere in our lives,” said McCarthy. “Organizations need people who can collect data, analyze it and apply its findings to affect meaningful change. We’re going to teach our students how to do that.”
This program is designed to meet a growing need for individuals with data science expertise in research methods and analysis, as well as the skills to help organizations implement their findings. While many institutions offer programs in data science, the online master’s program at Utica College focuses specifically on social data, which supports an understanding of the impact of data analysis within an organizational and societal context.
To ensure that the data science curriculum meets the needs of employers, the program was developed in collaboration with the regional Data Analytics Consortium, representing many of the largest employers in Central New York. Core courses emphasize research design and critical evaluation of data using theoretical models, as well as the social process of making decisions and implementing solutions based on data. Other courses examine the limits of data as well as issues related to laws, privacy and ethics.
“In addition to mastering the technical skills of data analysis, our students will learn how to present the data, to help stakeholders determine the best course of action,” McCarthy said.
Taught by a faculty of expert practitioners with years of experience, the online MS in Data Science at Utica College offers a competitively priced and convenient graduate degree option for adults who wish to take advantage of the exciting opportunities in this rapidly growing field.
The Master of Science in Data Science also offers several specializations so students can focus on their areas of professional interest.
• In Social Science Analytics, students learn to apply data science to social science research and policy development.
• Business Analytics examines how data science is applied to business management and decision-making.
• Students in the Cybersecurity specialization learn to apply data science knowledge and skills to state-of-the-art cybersecurity and computer forensic practices. This specialization enables students to take classes in the Cybersecurity MS program.
• The Financial Crime specialization focuses on using data science to combat economic crime. This specialization enables students to take classes in the Financial Crime and Compliance Management MS program.
• Students also have the option to build their own General specialization focus by selecting any four 3-credit graduate level courses available.
The online MS in Data Science program is now accepting applications for the Fall semester. For more information call toll-free 866.295.3106 or go to programs.online.utica.edu.
About Utica College – Utica College, founded in 1946, is a comprehensive private institution offering bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees. The College, located in upstate central New York, approximately 90 miles west of Albany and 50 miles east of Syracuse, currently enrolls more than 5,000 students in 38 undergraduate majors, 31 minors, 21 graduate programs and a number of pre-professional and special programs.