About Utica College
Utica College History
Utica College's history reaches back to the 1930s when Syracuse University operated extension courses in the Utica, N.Y. area.
UC was established thanks to the efforts of business and community leaders in the Mohawk Valley who saw a need for such an institution. In 1946, Syracuse University launched Utica College. Originally, the school was located in a section of downtown Utica known as Oneida Square. In 1961, the school moved to its current site off of Burrstone Road.
Although the College became a financially and legally independent institution in 1995, UC announced its final transition to full independence in the fall of 2008. Since 1998, the College has offered graduate degree programs, including master's and doctorate options in a broad range of fields.
Adapted from: Pioneering Generations by Professor Emeritus John C. Behrens, which chronicles the College's first 50 years.
View the Utica College Timeline
Learn more about UC's beginnings in the book Reflections: The Early Years of Utica College by Professor Emeritus Virgil C. Crisafulli
Founded in 1946, UC is a comprehensive private institution that offers bachelor's, master's and doctoral degrees.
UC enrolls 4,400 full- and part-time students, on campus and online.
The College offers 38 undergraduate majors and 31 minors.
The College offers 21 graduate programs, including master's degrees, doctoral programs, and graduate-level certificates. Options include:
- business administration
- cybersecurity - intelligence and forensics
- financial crime and compliance management
- health care administration
- occupational therapy
- physical therapy