These are some current news items of interest to UC alumni:
Utica College to Host High School Cybersecurity Career Day
Students to Learn What Program Has to Offer
Written By Alexis March '13, PR Intern
Local high school students will have the chance to learn more about cyber careers at a special program at UC March 27
Utica, NY (03/11/2013)- Are you a high school student interested in the field of cybersecurity? Utica College will host its third High School Cybersecurity Career Day on Wednesday, March 27 at the Economic Crime, Justice Studies and Cybersecurity Building in the Carbone Family Auditorium.
Students will participate in close-up interactive sessions provided by UC’s cybersecurity faculty and professionals from its industry partners. Students will attend two of three close-up sessions.
Students may choose from the following sessions:
- Steganography, the science of writing hidden messages, presented by Dr. Leonard Popyack, associate professor of cybersecurity
- Cryptography, the study of secret communications and breaking codes, presented by Randall Nichols, professor of practice in cybersecurity
- Digital Forensics presented by Sgt. Tony Martino, adjunct instructor of cybersecurity and Director of the Computer Forensics and Research Development Center
The event will also host professional and student panelists to discuss their experiences in the field of cybersecurity.
The professional panelists include:
- Sgt. Anthony Martino, Utica Police Department, and director of the Computer Forensics and Research Development Center
- Salvatore Paladino, ITT Exelis Secure-U Technical Training Instructor and adjunct instructor of cybersecurity
- Cassandra Ingham, risk management staff specialist at Utica National Insurance Group
The student panelists include:
- Ingrid Norris, a 2012 graduate of UC with a MS Cybersecurity - Intelligence and Forensics
- Nathan French, senior undergraduate, cybersecurity
- Dennis Labossiere, senior undergraduate, cybersecurity
One designated math, science, computer faculty or other staff member is invited to attend with students as a chaperone.
Participants will be given breakfast and lunch.
Registration is mandatory for all students and chaperones attending the event. The student and chaperone registration forms are due by March 20.
For more information, visit www.utica.edu/cybercareer day or call Karen Kaleta at (315) 223-2432.
About Utica College – Utica College, founded in 1946, is a comprehensive private institution offering bachelors, masters and doctoral degrees. The College, located in upstate central New York, approximately 90 miles west of Albany and 50 miles east of Syracuse, currently enrolls over 3,700 students in 38 undergraduate majors, 29 minors, 20 graduate degree programs and a number of pre-professional and special programs.
"It seems crazy to say but many of you are in the Class of 2019, and you are about to embark on the most unforgettable 4 years of your life."
Brian Agnew '03
Senior Vice President and Chief Development Officer, Robert Wood Johnson Health System
Read full text >
"UC's forward thinking prepared me for a rapidly changing world by teaching me to look for trends and analyze their impact on my profession, my clients, and my life." "Small classes, personable professors who become lifelong mentors and friends, and the support of a broad and successful alumni base makes UC a terrific option. UC's forward thinking prepared me for a rapidly changing world by teaching me to look for trends and analyze their impact on my profession, my clients, and my life."