College Holidays/Winter Break Days
Utica College recognizes certain days as paid holidays so that employees may maintain a proper balance between work, family, and recreation. In addition to the following list of holidays and winter break days, staff employees may enjoy three (3) Floating Holidays during the 2016-2017 academic year.
The Spring Recess Day and the three Floating Holidays should be arranged upon mutual agreement between each employee and his/her supervisor. New employees hired after November 30th will be eligible for two (2) Floating Holidays. In addition, new employees serving their 90-day orientation period are not eligible to use Floating Holidays or vacation days during that time frame.
For 2016-2017 benefit-eligible staff will receive four additional Spring Break days. Please see the attached memo for more information.
In recognition of the fact that overall College operations are significantly slower during the days surrounding the winter holiday period, and because, as a result, Utica College can typically operate with fewer staff members during this time, we have once again designated a period of time as “Winter Break”, during which only essential personnel will be required to work. Because in 2016-2017 Christmas and New Year’s fall during weekends, rather than a Friday-Monday holiday schedule, the Monday and Tuesday after Christmas and the Thursday and Friday before New Year’s are designated holidays. By naming Wednesday, December 28 as a Winter Break day, employees may enjoy a full and unbroken paid week off.
Please note the following:
· The timing and duration of the Winter Break will vary from year to year, and will depend on when during the week the Christmas holiday falls.
· For 2016-2017, December 26, 27, 29, and 30 will be considered College holidays, with December 28th being designated as Winter Break. Please see the attached chart for more information about designated days off for 2016-2017.
· All future Winter Break schedules will be communicated when holiday schedules are released.
· Supervisors will have both the responsibility and the authority to determine which staff members will be required to work during the Winter Break. Winter Break will not constitute a College “shutdown”, as some operations will be required to ensure continuity of services. The day covered by the Winter Break is not an additional holiday, vacation, personal day or floating holiday and as such is not subject to any type of additional pay. The day is considered a paid College break, and employees who are required to work on that day will be paid at their normal rate of pay with an opportunity to take the additional day at another time, but sometime before May 31, 2017. The day is not eligible for carryover into the new fiscal year.
· Winter Break eligibility applies to all full time and part time staff. Temporary employees are not eligible for this additional day. However, if they are required to work, they will be paid at their normal rate of pay.
· Winter Break days are not eligible for payout if a person leaves employment without having used the days.
As always, please talk with your supervisor if you have any questions about your work obligations, if any, during the designated Winter Break period. In addition, you may contact the Office of Human Resources at (315) 792-3276 with any general questions relating to this memo. I hope you find this break period useful as you plan your time away from work for this coming year, regardless of when you are able to take the days.