Frank E. Gannett Memorial Library
Research Tutorial: Finding Background Information
After identifying the main topic and keywords for your research, the next step is finding background information.
What are Background Sources?
- Databases - find articles with keyword searching in a database
- Use UC Library's Online Resources tool to help you select a database or other resources to search
- Library Catalog - find books, journals, newspapers, indexes, and bibliographies by keyword searching
- E-Journal Portal - find e-journals and e-newspapers by subject browsing or keyword journal title searching
- Lecture notes, text books and reserve readings are great resources for background information
Using Bibliographies and Citations
- Bibliographies are collections of citations on a specific subject
- Citations at the end of encyclopedia entries and journal articles can lead you to more detailed or relevant information
Reproduced and adapted with permission from: Reference Department; Instruction, Research, and Information Services (IRIS); Cornell University Library