(315) 792-4585

What do I need?

Orientation 2010 Information

What do I need to connect to the UC Network?

All you need to connect to our Network is a functional wired Network Interface Card (NIC), also called an "Ethernet Card." If the card is 10 Megabit, 100 Megabit or 1000 Megabit (Gigabit) it will be compatible with our Network. 

I have a wired network card, do I need anything else?

Yes, make sure you have a 10 to 25 foot Category 5 (Cat5 or Cat5e) or a Category 6 (Cat 6) cable. Some companies sell "Hi Speed Internet Wire," which is not the same as an Ethernet cable. The length of the cord you will need may vary depending on where you place your desk in your room. A 25 foot cord ensures that you will be able to run the cord around the entire length of the room if needed.

What equipment is not allowed?

ResNet does not allow personal routers, switches or hubs to be connected in any student rooms. Also, students are not allowed to bring any computer that is set up to operate like or as a server, including file or print sharing.

Should I get a PC running Windows or an Apple computer?

ResNet currently supports both Windows and Mac OS, so it is your personal choice.

Click here for information on the pros and cons of each operating system.

Should I get a laptop or a desktop?

Both laptops and desktops will work on the Utica College network. ResNet urges students to consider both the advantages and disadvantages of each configuration before making their decision on what to bring.

Click here for information on the pros and cons of laptop and desktop computers.