Bachelor of Science Degree • School of Health Professions
Psychology-Child Life Major
Civita A. Brown, M.S.
Inter. Coord. Psy. Child-Life
Phone: (315) 792-3380
Office: 107 DePerno Hall
- Certified Child Life Specialist
- M.S.Ed. in Inclusive Education from Utica College
- Survey of Hospital School Programs in the United States for Children Requiring Extended Hospitalization (2002-2003)
- Comparison of Child Life Specialist Distraction Activities to Reduce Preoperative Fear and Anxiety in Children (1999-2001)
- Survey of Medical Students Practice Choices after Participating in a Community Based Internship Program (1992-1993)
- New York State Documentary Heritage Program Grant 2004
- Excellus Community Health Award 2004
- MVP Appleby Award 2003
- Co-Chair of Child Life Council Archives Working Group 2001-present
Courses taught by Civita Brown:
PCL 123- Childhood Services
PCL 271- Intro to the Child Life Specialty
PCL 272- Community Practicum
PCL 471- Intro to Child Life Internship I
PCL 472- Intro to Child Life Internship II
PCL 475- Child Life Internship
Publications and Presentations
Brown, C.A., Pearson, L., Wilson, J.,. From seeds to success: Charting the course of the child life profession. Child Life Council 28th Annual Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, June, 2010.
Brown, C.A. & Pearson, L. Child life archives: Tracing the paths of the pioneers. Child Life Council 28th Annual Conference, Phoenix, Arizona, June, 2010.
Brown, C.A. & Pearson, L. (2008). The role of the child Life specialist in healthcare. Fifth International Conference on Healthcare Systems Proceedings, Milwaukee, Wisconsin: University of Wisconsin.
Brown, C. A. (2008). The school setting. In Hicks, M.(Ed.), Child life beyond the hospital, Rockville, MD: Child Life Council.
Creating a legacy: Child Life Council Archives, Child Life Council Bulletin, Summer, 2007.
Creating a legacy: Yesterday, Today, & Tomorrow: 25th Anniversary DVD, Child Life Council, 2007.
Follow the dream. Child Life Council Bulletin, Winter 2003.
Follow The Dream Video. Child Life Council, 2002.
Going to the Hospital, Children’s Coloring Book, 1982.
Child's view of the hospital. Horizons in Health, 1981.
Parents Can Help. Community Health Line, 1979, 1 (3), 4.
-How does a child see the hospital? Community Health Line, 1979, 1 (4), 6-7, 11.
Child Life Video
Child Life Online
In The News:
CHILD LIFE STORY ON NPR
CHILD LIFE COUNCIL www.childlife.org
NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF HEALTH PLAY SPECIALISTS www.nahps.org.uk
The Magazine for Child Life Specialists.
LIGHT SPINNER QUARTERLY
JOIN US ON CAMPUS:
SATURDAY INFO SESSIONS
Q&A with staff followed by a campus tour.
Learn more about programs, financial aid, student life, more.
Upcoming events >