Physical Therapy at UC
Physical Therapy Faculty
James (Jim) M. Smith, D.P.T.
Professor of Physical Therapy
Office: 305 Romano Hall
My career began after earning a Bachelor of Science degree in physical therapy from Northeastern University in 1984. My first professional position was at the Johns Hopkins Hospital (Maryland) and then I moved to Connecticut and practiced physical therapy at Hartford Hospital. I completed a Master of Arts degree in Psychology (Neuroscience Program) at the University of Hartford in 1995.
I was the founding director of the Connecticut Community College’s Physical Therapist Assistant Program at Naugatuck Valley Community College and we graduated our first class in December, 1998. I was also an adjunct instructor in the graduate programs in Biology and Physical Therapy at the University of Hartford from 2002 – 2005. I joined the faculty of Utica College in 2005, and in 2006 I completed a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree from Simmons College. Locally I have provided per diem services at St Elizabeth’s Medical Center.
I have been promoted to Professor of Physical Therapy at Utica College. My scholarship includes 16 peer-reviewed and 24 non-peer reviewed publications, and 31 peer-reviewed and 39 invited presentations. Presently I am the principal investigator of the team that is developing the Clinical Practice Guideline for the Identification and Evaluation of Post-Intensive Care Syndrome.
I have enjoyed service in the physical therapy profession in many leadership roles, including:
- In the Academy of Acute Care Physical Therapy I have served as the President, Director, Chief Delegate to APTA’s House of Delegates, Clinical Practice Guidelines Coordinator and on the Nominating Committee.
- In the American Physical Therapy Association I have served as Chair of the Awards Committee, as an On-site Reviewer and Reader/Consultant for the Commission on Accreditation in Physical Therapy Education, on the Task Force for the development of A Normative Model of Physical Therapist Assistant Education, Version 2007, on the Task Force on Member Education and Meetings, on the Sections Governance Work Group and I have served in the House of Delegates seven times.
- In the Connecticut Physical Therapy Association I have served as Director, Nominating Committee Chair and Treasurer.
My service in the health care community has included the following:
- On the National Quality Forum’s Patient Safety - Complications Steering Committee.
- On the Society of Critical Care Medicine’s ICU Liberation and Animation Conference Task Force.
I have been honored to receive the Academy of Acute Care Physical Therapy’s James Dunleavy Distinguished Service Award and the American Physical Therapy Association’s F.A. Davis Award for Outstanding Physical Therapist Assistant Educator.
Message from the Program Chair
All DPT Applicants:
Applicants must read the DPT Info Guide thoroughly before applying.
View / Download Guide →
For information on graduation rate, licensure pass rate, and employment rate, click here.
Supplemental Items For PTCAS Applicants ALL DPT Applicants must download, read, sign, and date these three (3) forms:
- the Essential Functions of a Physical Therapist form
- the Disciplinary History form
- the Office of the Professions Statement form
- the Clinical Observation Form
...and return all three to:
Utica College Graduate Admissions
Cynkus Family Welcome Center
1600 Burrstone Road
Utica, NY 13502
NOTE: Your application will NOT BE COMPLETE until these signed and dated forms are returned to the Graduate Admissions office.